Rock Cornish Game Hens Elegante
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 6 to 8 rock Cornish hens
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons fines herbes
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup Hiram Walker Amaretto or Apricot Flavored Brandy
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup Hiram Walker Amaretto or Apricot Flavored Brandy
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups orange juice
- Strips of orange peel
- Season hens inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in saucepan and sauté onion until golden brown.
- Add fines herbes and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in brown rice, almonds, raisins and Amaretto or Apricot Flavored Brandy.
- Stuff hens. Sew or skewer openings.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until hens are tender, basting occasionally with glaze.
- Place hens on warm platter and place roasting pan on top of stove over low heat.
- Gradually stir flour and orange juice into pan juices. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon over hens and garnish with orange peel and watercress.