Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 acorn squash, split lengthwise, seeded
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 12 ounces bulk turkey or pork sausage
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) package cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Cook squash halves in microwave-safe dish on HIGH for 8 to 10 minutes or until flesh softens.
- Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4 inch thick shells; coarsely chop pulp and set aside.
- Place shells, cut side up, in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Toast almonds in large skillet sprayed with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook sausage and celery in a large skillet over medium heat until sausage is crumbled and no longer pink.
- Add sugar and broth to pan. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat; gently stir in stuffing mix, squash pulp, cranberries and almonds. Cover; let stand.
- Fill center of squash loosely with equal portions of stuffing mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.