This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Green Bean Casserole with Spicy Onion Rings
Fresh green beans are enhanced with alpine-style cheese, mushrooms and topped with homemade spicy onion rings.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour, divided
- 2 1/4 cups (2-percent reduced fat) milk, divided
- 2 cups Wisconsin alpine-style cheese*, shredded and divided
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed, left whole and steamed or precooked for 5 minutes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms,
salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and mushrooms
are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a small bowl and return saucepan to heat.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in pot over medium heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup
flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in 2 cups milk until smooth then cook, stirring often, until silky and
thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 cups alpine-style cheese a handful at a time,
gently stirring until melted; season generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In large bowl, toss together green beans, mushrooms and alpine-style cheese sauce
then transfer to a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup alpine-style
cheese over the top; set aside.
- Mix 1/4 cup flour, bread crumbs, cayenne and salt to taste in small bowl.
- In large bowl, toss onions with remaining 1/4 cup milk then add bread crumb mixture.
Toss gently to coat. Scatter onions over green beans (along with any bread crumbs
that didn't stick) and bake until golden brown and casserole is bubbly, about 40
- Let casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
* Fontina, Swiss or another alpine-style cheese may be substituted.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin