Mock Crab Cakes
Enjoy all the taste and visual appeal of Baltimore's most famous
food. To reduce moisture and improve texture of the dish, press
tofu by wrapping it in paper towels, placing in a colander and setting
a plate on top. Add weight to the plate and set aside for about
- 4 to 5 slices whole wheat bread, broken into large pieces
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/2 cup minced white onion
- 1/3 cup minced carrot
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 16 ounces firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 cup eggless mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil or cooking spray
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor or blender, whirl bread pieces into fine crumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet or large cake pan and toast in the oven
for 8 to 10 minutes, or until dried and toasty. Remove from oven
and set aside.
- Brush a skillet with oil and cook celery, onion, carrot, pepper,
and parsley until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and
- Pulse tofu in food processor to a cottage-cheese consistency, being
careful not to puree it.
- In a large bowl, combine tofu, sauteed vegetable mixture, 1/2 cup
of the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, and seasoning. Mix well.
- Using about 1/3 cup for each, form mixture into 10 patties about
3-inch across and 1/2-inch thick. Coat each patty with remaining
bread crumbs to cover.
- Place patties on a sprayed or nonstick baking sheet and spray tops
lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully turn cakes
over and return to the oven to bake until second side is toasty
and browned, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
Yield: 10 cakes
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Tofu Recipes