Sauteed Tofu with Ginger Sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon finely minced gingerroot
- 1/2 pound firm tofu
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Ginger Sauce: In small saucepan, place vinegar, sugar, 3/4 cup water, and soy
sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally,
for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon
water; stir into sauce. Cook mixture, stirring until clear and thickened.
Remove pan from heat; stir in ginger. Makes 1 cup.
- Tofu: While Ginger Sauce is simmering, cut tofu into 1-inch squares about
1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, and seasonings.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat egg. Add milk and hot pepper sauce.
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Piece by piece, dip tofu in flour,
then in egg mixture, and again in flour. Sauté until lightly browned,
about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm, arranged on a platter with cocktail forks and a bowl
of Ginger Sauce. Surround platter with curly lettuce leaves or large
sprigs of parsley.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
use egg white only
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Tofu Recipes