Stuffed Fried Tofu
- 1 cup cooked highly seasoned rice, such as Cajun Jambalaya Mix
- 4 cakes fresh tofu
- Cornstarch or flour (for dusting)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- Hot oil or mustard, for a dipping sauce
- Cook the rice. If using the Jambalaya Mix, in a microwave-safe bowl
add contents of package with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 3 cups water.
Cover. Microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, then on half power for 12
to 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Cool.
- Meanwhile, drain the tofu well in a colander and then on paper towels
while the rice cooks. Cut each cake diagonally and then cut out
a pocket on the cut side. Dust with the cornstarch or flour. Fill
the cavity with some of the rice mixture. Pack smoothly with a knife
or with your fingers.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed skillet or wok. When hot enough to
give off a haze, place side of the tofu cake down into the oil and
pan-fry over medium heat about 6 minutes. Turn the cakes and fry
the other side for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with a nice sauce drizzled over the top.