Tofu Cheese Stuffed Shells
- 12 jumbo pasta shells
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 8 ounces tofu
- 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 beaten egg white
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain. Rinse
with cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook carrot and green onion in a
small amount of water until tender. Drain.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl, mash tofu with a fork. Stir
in the carrot-onion mixture, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, 1/4
cup of the mozzarella, the egg white and 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4
- For sauce, in a saucepan, combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste,
basil, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and fennel seed. Bring to a
boil, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stuff each shell with about 1 rounded tablespoon of filling. Place
shells in an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish. Pour sauce over
shells, top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, covered, in
a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until hot
Yield: 4 servings
Each serving: 316 calories (36 percent from fat)
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Tofu Recipes