Tofu Chili with Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons canned green chiles, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper (optional)
- 14 ounces firm Chinese-style tofu, frozen, thawed, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups black beans, cooked
- 1 skinless boneless chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes in puree
- Heat oil in large pan. Add onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic.
Sauté over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add green chiles,
cumin seeds, oregano, chili powder and crushed red hot pepper if
desired. Blend and sauté 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Add well drained,
crumbled tofu, black beans, chicken breast, and tomatoes. Break
up tomatoes into smaller pieces. Mix well, partially cover, and
gently simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Add salt or light salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce to taste.
If chili appears dry while cooking, moisten with some reserved cooking
liquid from black beans, a small amount of water, or add a small
can of tomato sauce.