- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 pound fresh or frozen tofu (if frozen, defrost), cubed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups hot cooked rice, preferably brown
- Sauté onion, celery, peppers and garlic in broth until onion is
tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Simmer uncovered for
10 minutes, adding water if needed.
- Stir in tofu; heat to boiling. Cover and cook over medium heat for
10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice. Add salad and warm French bread for a hearty
Yield: 4 servings