- 3 to 4 cups cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups toasted bread cubes
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sage, crumbled
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter or margarine
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- Melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine in saucepan; blend in flour, salt and pepper.
Cook over low heat until bubbly, stirring. Slowly stir in broth and milk; boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly toss bread, onion, celery, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sage
and 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine; arrange in lightly buttered 2-quart casserole baking dish.
- Top with turkey, then cover with sauce and mushrooms. Mix well with
fork to moisten the dressing.
- Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees F.