Turkey Cottage Pie
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup turkey gravy
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 2 1/2 cups bite-size cooked turkey pieces
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 1/2 cup cooked carrots
- 1/2 cup cooked pearl onions
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups turkey stuffing or dressing
- Melted unsalted butter, as needed
- In a saucepan heat the celery, carrot, onion and garlic in the butter, covered
with a buttered round of wax paper and the lid, over moderately low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the gravy, stock or broth and cook over moderate heat, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey, peas, carrots, pearl onions, salt and pepper to taste, and bring the mixture to
- Transfer the mixture to a flameproof 1 1/2-quart baking dish, and with a spatula spread the
stuffing over it.
- Drizzle the stuffing with some melted butter.
- Bake the pie in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbling,
and put it under a preheated broiler until the top is golden brown.