Turkey Enchilada Stacks
Thanksgiving leftovers are transformed with a Mexican-inspired dish featuring
layers of turkey, shredded cheese, warm tortillas and homemade enchilada sauce.
It'll be 'gobbled' up in no time.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 6 king size (7 1/2-inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded white meat turkey or meat from 2 pound rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded light cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese, divided
- 1 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained, divided (optional)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- Light sour cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook,
stirring frequently, for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, sugar and bouillon; cook, stirring constantly,
for 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste, water and evaporated milk; cook for a few minutes
to heat through.
- Pour through fine-mesh strainer; discard onion/garlic pieces.
- Heat tortillas in microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 40 seconds or until
- Spoon 2 tablespoons sauce over bottom of 9-inch-round deep-dish pie plate.
Place 2 tortillas over sauce, covering entire bottom of pie plate. Top with
1 1/2 cups turkey, 3/4 cup cheese, 1/2 cup green onions, half of the olives
and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Top with about 1/2 cup sauce.
- Place 2 more tortillas over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups turkey,
3/4 cup cheese, remaining 1/2 cup green onions, remaining olives and 1 tablespoon
cilantro. Top with about 1/2 cup sauce. Top with remaining 2 tortillas. Pour
remaining sauce over tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; cover
loosely with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro before serving.
- Serve with sour cream.
Prep: 20 min | Cooking: 40 min | Yield: 6
Like it spicy? Stir 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles into sauce.
By: CARNATION MILKS
Recipe and photo used with permission from: VeryBestBaking.com and Nestlé®