Valentine's Day Recipes
Chocolate Raspberry Stuffed French Toast Hearts
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 (1/3 inch thick) slices egg bread or challah
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, such as Lindt or Ghirardelli
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, or to taste
- Mint for garnish
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla extract and milk.
- Using a 3 inch heart shaped cookie cutter, cut a heart shape from each slice of bread. Place 1/2 ounce of chocolate on top of 2 pieces of the bread. Place a second slice of bread on top of each piece, and gently pinch the edges to make a seal. Dip the "stuffed hearts" into the egg mixture, making sure they're soaked.
- Heat the butter in a nonstick skillet over moderate heat until it begins to foam, add the stuffed bread hearts and cook them, turning them once for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until they are nicely browned.
- In a bowl, mash 3/4 of the raspberries and stir in the sugar. Stir in the remaining berries.
- Transfer the browned hearts to a plate and top with the raspberries.
- Garnish with mint and serve!