Heart and Flowers Cake
Gumdrops are the secret to the decorations. Ordinary square and round baking pans create the heart-shaped cake!
Keep extra sugar handy when working with gumdrops to use if they get sticky.
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist cake mix (any flavor)
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 1/2 containers Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy or Whipped frosting (any flavor)
- Assorted gumdrops
- Candied orange slices, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans).
- Make and cool cake as directed on box - except use one 8-inch round pan and one 8-inch square pan. Check square pan for doneness about 2 minutes before round pan.
- Cut round cake in half. Place cut sides against sides of square cake to form heart shape, attaching pieces with small amount of frosting.
- Spread frosting on cake. Make gumdrop flowers with assorted gumdrops: Flatten gumdrops with rolling pin. Cut out small petal-shaped flowers. Pinch flower in center to make it 3-dimensional. Cut out gumdrop leaves and stems. Arrange gumdrop flowers on cake. Arrange candied orange slices to form butterfly wings and butterfly body.
- Store loosely covered.
Prep: 25 min | Yield: 16 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Follow High Altitude cake mix directions. Check square pan for doneness about 2 minutes before round pan.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 130); Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 3 1/2g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 340mg; Total Carbohydrate 53g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 38g); Protein 2g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 3 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker