- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon rose water*
- About 1/2 cup fruit jam
- Heat oven to 225 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites to a stiff froth, 2 minutes, then very slowly add the
sugar and rose water, beating hard until soft peaks form with a glossy sheen,
3 to 5 minutes.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip with the sugar mixture and
carefully pipe 1 1/2-inch circles on the baking sheet, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Bake until lightly browned, 35 minutes, then turn the oven off and let the
cakes sit for 45 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and carefully
remove the cakes from the parchment paper.
- Spread the flat side of 1 cake with about 1/2 teaspoon of the jam, then
press the flat side of another cake against it, making a ball-shaped morsel.
Repeat with the remaining cakes and jam.
Yield: about 46 cakes
* Rose water is sold at Indian markets and some specialty markets.
Calories per cake: 33; Protein: 1 gram; Total fat: 0; Cholesterol: 0; Sodium:
10 mg; Carbohydrate: 8 grams; Dietary fiber: 0.04 gram
This recipe is adapted from The Carolina Housewife by Sarah Rutledge
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>>Valentine's Day Recipes