Lemon Cake with Raspberry Mousse
Delight in a delicious cake with raspberry filling and raspberry-whipped cream
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist lemon cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups raspberry pie filling (from 21-ounce can)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- Fresh raspberries, if desired
- Mint leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease
bottoms only of two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans with shortening or cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, buttermilk, oil, lemon peel and eggs with electric
mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch rounds 30 to 36 minutes, 9-inch rounds 28 to 33 minutes, or until
wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Run knife around side of pans to loosen cakes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely,
about 1 hour.
- Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate. Spread 3/4 cup of the
pie filling over cake layer to within 1/4 inch of edge. Top with second layer, rounded
- In chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed
until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 1 1/4 cups pie filling on low speed just
until blended. Frost side and top of cake with raspberry mousse. Garnish with fresh
raspberries and mint leaves.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
Prep Time: 20 min | Makes: 16 servings
To make a smooth mousse, strain the raspberry seeds out of the pie filling. Place
the filling in a mesh strainer or sieve over a bowl and use the back of a spoon
to press the filling through the sieve.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
If you don't have buttermilk on hand, substitute water when making the cake
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 140); Total
Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 250mg; Total
Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 24g); Protein 3g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 10%; Iron 4%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat Carbohydrate
Choices: 2 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>>Valentine's Day Recipes