Linzer Heart Torte
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped, toasted hazelnuts, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups seedless raspberry preserves
Cream Cheese White Chocolate Icing
- 24 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 ounces good quality white chocolate (such as Lindt)
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F; grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch
heart-shape cake pans.
- Batter: Finely chop toasted hazelnuts in a food processor and combine
1 cup chopped nuts with dry ingredients; set aside. Reserve
remaining nuts for decorating the side of the cakes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. Beat butter
and sugar with an electric mixer until well mixed. Beat in egg
yolks and extracts. Add milk, alternating with dry ingredients,
beating until just combined. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites to
lighten batter, then fold in remaining egg whites. Divide between
the two prepared cake pans and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes
or until tops are golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool pans on rack for 10 minutes, then turn out on wire rack
to cool completely.
- Frost and decorate with preserves and Cream Cheese White Chocolate
- Split each cake in half, making two heart-shaped layers out
of each one. A long serrated knife makes quick work of this,
or you can use a piece of dental floss as a saw to split the
cake in half. Prepare icing recipe below; assemble cake.
- Place first layer, cut side down, on the cake plate and cover
with a layer of icing. Top this with a layer of raspberry preserves
and top that with the second cake layer. Frost tops and sides
of cake. Press remaining nuts onto sides of cakes with fingers.
Leaving a 1/4-inch border on all edges, top cakes with a layer
of raspberry preserves. Put remaining icing into a pastry bag
and pipe a decorative icing border around top edge of cakes.
- Cream Cheese White Chocolate Icing:
Stir white chocolate in the top of a double boiler, set over
simmering water, until just melted. Cool to lukewarm. Using
an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until light
and fluffy. Beat in cooled, melted white chocolate and vanilla
extract; gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until
smooth. Frosting should be light and spreadable. It is helpful
to chill a bit before piping.
Yield: two 8- or 9-inch tortes
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>>Valentine's Day Recipes