Raspberry Laced Vanilla Cake
Multiple layers of raspberry and raspberry buttercream make this cake a showstopper.
For a stunning cake of your own, just follow a few simple techniques!
- 2 2/3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups butter
or margarine, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 cups powdered
- 1/2 cup raspberry-flavored liqueur or raspberry syrup for pancakes
teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms and sides of 3 (9-inch) round cake
pans with shortening; lightly flour.
- In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt
and baking soda; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups butter and the granulated sugar with electric
mixer on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until fluffy. On medium speed,
beat in flour mixture, milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and the eggs until
blended. Beat 2 minutes longer. Pour evenly into pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In medium bowl, beat 1 cup butter and the powdered sugar on medium speed until
smooth. Gradually beat in liqueur and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until smooth and spreadable.
- Cut each cake horizontally to make 2 layers. (Mark side of cake with toothpicks
and cut with long, thin serrated knife.) Place 1 layer, cut side up, on serving
plate; spread with 1/3 cup raspberry jam to within 1/4 inch of edge. Top with another
layer, cut side down; spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Repeat with remaining layers.
- Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting. Pipe frosting on top of cake
- Garnish with chocolate leaves.
- Store loosely covered.
Prep Time: 25 min |
Start to Finish: 2 hr 5 min |
Makes: 16 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Decrease baking powder to 2 teaspoons. Bake 28
to 33 minutes.
For a quick garnish, top this pretty pink cake with fresh raspberries.
Fresh edible flowers make a beautiful decoration to this cake when raspberries
If you only own 2 round cake pans, cover and refrigerate 1/3 of the batter while
the other two layers bake. Remove the baked cakes from the pans and wash the pan
before you bake the last layer.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 590 (Calories from Fat 270); Total
Fat 31g (Saturated Fat 19g, Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 130mg; Sodium 420mg; Total
Carbohydrate 71g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 50g); Protein 4g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 4 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 6 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from