Red Velvet Dream Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Red Velvet
- 1 (6 ounce) package milk chocolate chips, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) container
frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can Duncan Hines
Creamy Home-Style Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate shavings,
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare, bake and cool cake according to package
directions for two 8-inch round baking pans.
- For chocolate hearts garnish, pour melted chocolate chips into heart-shaped
molds or spread melted chocolate to 1/8-inch thickness on wax paper-lined baking
sheet. Cut shapes with heart cookie cutter when chocolate begins to set and
lose its shine.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Push heart shapes out of molds and refrigerate.
- To assemble torte, split each layer in half. Place one split layer on serving
plate. Spread one-third of whipped topping on one layer. Repeat with remaining
layers, making sure to place bottoms of each layer together, leaving top of
- Frost sides and top of cake with frosting. Garnish with chocolate
hearts and shavings (see below) if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 12 servings
How to make chocolate shavings: Start with a large block or bar of good quality
chocolate. (White and milk chocolate are softest and curl most easily.) Hold the
chocolate with a paper towel and using a vegetable peeler shave the narrowest side
of the block. The chocolate will curl best if the room or the bar is slightly warm.
Keep refrigerated in a covered container until needed.