Make a strawberries and cream show-off cake that's bound for rave reviews.
Instead of the amaretto liqueur in the cake batter, you can use 1 tablespoon
almond extract plus enough water to equal 1/2 cup. In the amaretto cream, substitute
1 teaspoon almond extract plus 1/4 cup whipping cream for the amaretto liqueur.
A food processor makes quick work of grinding the almonds. For even grinding,
scrape the sides and bottom of the food processor bowl occasionally.
Some of the juice from the strawberry halves will soak into the frosting, so
add the strawberry garnish just before serving.
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated or powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- 6 large fresh strawberries, cut in half
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pans). Grease
bottoms and sides of 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans with shortening; lightly flour.
- Cake: Place almonds in food processor or blender. Cover; process until almonds are finely ground.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, almonds, water, 1/2 cup liqueur, the oil and egg whites with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pans.
- Bake and cool as directed on box for 8- or 9-inch pans.
- Amaretto Cream: In chilled large bowl, beat ingredients with electric mixer
on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup amaretto cream; arrange sliced strawberries evenly on top. Top with second cake layer, rounded side up. Frost side and top of cake with remaining amaretto cream.
- Just before serving, garnish with strawberry halves.
- Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
Prep: 35 min | Yield: 12 to 16 servings
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 220); Total
Fat 24g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 1 1/2g); Cholesterol 35mg; Sodium 310mg; Total
Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 26g); Protein 6g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 8%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 4 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 3
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Betty Crocker
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.