Strawberry Hearts Pound Cake
This special recipe starts with strawberry pound cake, sliced and cut into heart
shapes, and then baked inside another buttery pound cake and drizzled with chocolate
ganache. Each slice contains a sweet Valentine’s Day surprise!
Strawberry Pound Cake
- 1 cup strawberry puree (from 10 ounces
fresh or frozen strawberries)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon strawberry
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
Vanilla Bundt Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 18 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare a 9×5-inch loaf pan with butter and
- Place strawberries in food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside one
cup of puree.
- In medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In separate bowl, beat sugar and butter for 3 minutes with paddle attachment
until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until batter looks curdled.
Add 1/3 of flour mixture, and then 1/2 of sour cream, another 1/3 flour mixture,
remainder of sour cream, then last of flour mixture. Add strawberry extract
and food coloring to combine (may add more to intensify color).
- Fold in half strawberry puree; then fold in remainder of strawberry puree.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. Cut into 1-inch slices, discarding ends. Using
a small cookie cutter, cut – into heart shapes. You should get 2-3 hearts per
slice depending on size of cutter. Set hearts aside and prepare following cake.
- Vanilla Bundt Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare Bundt pan with
butter and flour. Ensure all crevices are buttered.
- In medium bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine buttermilk, vanilla and lemon juice; set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixture, beat butter and sugar for 3 minutes with paddle
attachment until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add 1/3 of flour,
and then 1/2 buttermilk mixture; another 1/3 flour mixture, then remainder of
buttermilk and then remaining flour mixture.
- Pour half of batter into prepared Bundt pan. Place Strawberry Pound Cake
hearts upside-down in the batter. Spoon remainder of batter over hearts. If
heart tips are sticking out of batter, don’t worry. The cake will bake over
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn over, remove from pan and cool on wire
- Chocolate Ganache: Chop chocolate into small pieces. Heat cream in small
pot until milk boils. Pour over chocolate and allow to sit for 2 minutes. Add
butter and stir until smooth and glossy. Pour over Bundt cake.
Yield: 1 Bundt cake
By Karyn, Pint Sized Baker
Reprinted with permission from
the American Butter Institute - goboldwithbutter.com.