Valentine's Day Recipes
Gold-Painted Chocolate Truffles
- 4 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 ounces sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 ounces heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Powdered gold leaf
- Melt 4 1/2 ounces of the semisweet chocolate in a double boiler until just fluid. Using a whisk, incorporate softened butter, then egg yolk, sifted confectioners' sugar and cream into the melted chocolate. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture in heart molds or any other molds (an egg poacher works well as a mold), and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
- Melt remaining 4 ounces of chocolate in a double boiler until just fluid.
- Unmold chocolate truffles and dip them in the melted chocolate, shake off excess chocolate and set on parchment paper. Trim excess chocolate.
- In a small bowl, combine liqueur and gold dust to achieve a paint-like consistency. Using brushes, decorate hearts with gold "paint" - perhaps a fleur de lis or two, an "I love you," etc. Be creative!