Here's My Heart Fudge
- 1 2/3 cups (10 ounce package) white chips, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa or Dutch process cocoa
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) jar Marshmallow Creme
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounce can) evaporated milk
- Few drops red food color (optional)
- 1 cup candied red cherries, quartered
- Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with foil.
- Place 1 cup white chips and almond extract in medium bowl.
- In second medium bowl, stir together cocoa, melted butter and vanilla extract
until mixture is smooth; add remaining 2/3 cup white chips (chips do not need to melt).
- Combine sugar, Marshmallow Creme, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup butter in
heavy 4-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
comes to full rolling boil (bubbles can't be stirred down); continue boiling
and stirring 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Immediately add half of hot mixture
to bowl with white chips only. Pour remainder into cocoa mixture; stir to blend.
Beat white chip mixture until chips are completely melted; stir in red food
color, if desired, and cherries. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Beat cocoa mixture until chips are melted and mixture thickens slightly.
Spread evenly over top of white layer. Cover; refrigerate until firm.
- Remove from pan; peel off foil. Cut with heart-shaped cookie cutters or
cut into squares.
- Cover; store in refrigerator.
Yield: about 8 dozen squares
For best results, do not double this recipe.