Valentine's Day Recipes
Chocolate Pistachio Hearts
Yield: 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup pistachio nuts
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup ground pistachio nuts
- In a medium saucepan, heat and stir butter and brown sugar over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Cool mixture 15 minutes.
- Stir in beaten egg, flour and cocoa powder until combined. Stir in 3/4 cup pistachio nuts.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 30 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface until 1/4-inch thick and cut into heart-shape pieces.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for nine minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool cookies and set aside.
- Heat chocolate chips and shortening until smooth. Dip cookies in, then coat with nuts.