Valentine's Day Recipes
Chocolate Shortbread Hearts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa, instant coffee and cinnamon in a bowl and mix to combine.
- With a pastry blender cut butter into dry mixture until it resembles fine crumbs. Knead dough with hands until it forms a smooth ball. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Use heart-shaped cookie cutters to cut dough. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 1 inch apart. Re-roll dough as necessary.
- Bake in preheated 325 degrees F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are set.
- Combine chocolate and shortening in saucepan and stir over low heat until melted.
- Dip each cookie into chocolate and place on wax-paper lined cookie sheet. Let stand until chocolate sets.