Pastel Marbled Hearts
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pink paste food color
- Purple paste food color
- Green paste food color
- Edible glitter or large grain sugar, if desired
- Combine sugar and butter in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium
speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (2 to 3 minutes). Add
egg and orange juice; continue beating until well mixed (1 to
2 minutes). Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking powder.
Beat until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Divide dough into fourths.
Knead pink food color into one portion. Knead purple food color
into second portion. Knead green food color into third portion.
Flatten each fourth into disk shape.
- Wrap in plastic food wrap.
Refrigerate until firm (2 hours or overnight).
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using half of each dough disk (keeping remaining dough refrigerated),
alternately place spoonsful of dough onto lightly floured surface
to create marbled effect. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
Cut with 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place cookies 1
inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with edible
glitter, if desired.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges
are lightly browned.
- Cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining
Yield: 3 1/2 dozen cookies
Per cookie: Calories, 90; fat, 4.5 g; cholesterol, 15 mg;
sodium, 45 mg; carbohydrates, 12 g; fiber, 0 g; protein, 1 g