Raspberry Almond Meringues
- 3 egg whites
- 4 ounces blanched almonds (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup raspberry preserves or jam
- Confectioners' sugar
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 300 degree F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with foil
or parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, place almonds and the 2 tablespoons sugar in a food
processor. Cover and process until almonds are finely ground
(you should have about 1 1/3 cups). (Or, if you have a coffee
grinder or nut grinder, work in small batches to grind the nuts and sugar.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, almond extract,
and salt. Beat on medium speed of an electric mixer until soft
peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon
at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks from (tips
stand straight). Fold in almond mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a decorating bag fitted with a small open
star tip or a round tip with a large opening. Pipe into 1-1/2-inch
circles 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets, building up
the edges. If the tip gets clogged, use a wooden pick to unclog.
- Bake on separate racks in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven with door closed for
1 hour. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Just before serving, spoon about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the
raspberry preserves into the center of each cookie. Sift confectioners'
sugar lightly over filled cookies.
Yield: about 40 cookies
Source: Better Homes and Gardens