Treat the sweethearts in your life by gifting them with these big red edible
hearts. They'll love you for it!
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond
- 1/4 teaspoon red food color
- 2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup white baking chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Small candy hearts, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar, almond extract and food color in medium bowl
with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour and almonds.
- Divide dough in half; cover half and set aside.
- Place remaining half on ungreased cookie sheet; press into heart shape,
about 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 25 minutes; carefully remove from cookie sheet
to serving platter.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place baking chips and shortening in microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered
on Medium-High (70%) about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until
chips can be stirred smooth. Drizzle over shortbread. Sprinkle with candy hearts.
Prep Time: 20 min |
Start to Finish: 1 hr 5 min |
Makes: 2 hearts (6 to 8 servings
Shortbread Lips: Press half of dough into oval shape, about 1/4
inch thick, on ungreased cookie sheet. Shape each end to form point. Press center
of oval to form lips.
Special Touch: It's party time! Bake several hearts and lips, supply lots
of frosting and decorating candies and let the fun begin!
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 160 );
Total Fat 18 g (Saturated Fat 11 g); Cholesterol 45 mg; Sodium 110 mg; Total Carbohydrate
27 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g); Protein 3 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 12 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4 %; Iron 12
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from