Sparkling Sugar Kisses
A totally nonfat treat for Valentine's Day!
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch (1/8 teaspoon) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup Baker's Special, extra-fine, sanding or castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or the extract of your choice)
- Sparkling sugar crystals
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy, then add the
salt and cream of tartar. Add the sugar gradually, continuing
to beat, until the meringue is thick and glossy, and forms stiff peaks.
- Drop meringue by tablespoonsful onto a parchment-lined baking
sheet. Sprinkle each with sparkling sugar crystals.
- Bake in a preheated 250 degree F oven for 1 hour, then turn off the
oven and let the kisses cool in the unopened oven (don't
peek!) for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Yield: about two dozen 1 1/2-inch kisses.