Strawberry Meringue Roses
A beautiful sweet treat made with freeze-dried strawberries and
dipped in chocolate.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon raspberry liquor (optional)
- 1/2 cup
- 1 ounce freeze-dried strawberries, separated
- 4 ounces bittersweet
chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- Place freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor and process until reduced to a fine powder. Set
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet or two with Silpat
mats or parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment,
beat egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, vanilla and raspberry liquor on medium
high until soft peaks form. While beating, sprinkle in sugar 1 tablespoon at a
time until all is incorporated. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Sift 2
tablespoons of powdered strawberry over meringue (reserve the rest) and gently
fold in with a spatula until incorporated.
- Pipe or dollop meringue on to
prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 200 degrees F for about 2 hours, or until meringues are
dry to the touch and lift off the pan easily.
- Cool meringues completely on the
counter (or, if humid, turn oven off and cool for 2 hours in the OFF oven.)
- Gently press dried meringues into remaining powdered strawberry for an extra
dose of color and flavor. Dip bottoms into chocolate and place on parchment, wax
paper or Silpats to dry.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Source: The Craving Chronicles
Reprinted with permission from
the California Strawberry Commission.