- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or hazelnuts
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for rolling out cookies
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light. Add
egg and mix well.
- Sift together the flour and cornstarch. Add to creamed mixture
and blend well. Mix in nuts.
- Gather dough into a ball and wrap in wax paper. Chill for at
least 4 hours.
- Sprinkle a board with 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup confectioners'
sugar. Roll the dough out to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with
a small heart-shaped cookie cutter about 1 1/2 inch long. Place
cookies on ungreased cookie sheets. Chill cookies on the sheets
briefly while preheating the oven.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake cookies for 10 to 15 minutes
or until lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on a rack while melting chocolate in a heavy-bottomed
small pan or over simmering water in a double boiler.
- Dip half of each heart into the melted chocolate and return
to rack to cool.
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies