Valentine Cookie Puzzle
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Quaker oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Assorted small candies (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour two cookie sheets.
Using your finger, trace the outline of a large heart on each cookie sheet.
- In large bowl, beat margarine, sugar and vanilla extract with electric mixer
until creamy. Add combined oats and flour; mix well.
- Divide dough in half. With lightly floured hands, pat each half into the
large heart shape on cookie sheet. If desired, gently press candies into dough.
With knife, cut through each heart to form 8 to 10 random shapes. (Do not separate.)
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Carefully cut through pieces again to separate. Cool for 5 minutes on cookie
- Remove to wire rack; cool completely.
- Store tightly covered.
Yield: two 10-inch hearts
Small children should use a butter or table knife to cut the random puzzle shapes.
Reprinted with permission from