- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- Red and silver candies
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer for 5 minutes until it
is light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, then the flour,
mixing well. Knead the dough until smooth; shape into a ball
and cut in half.
- Press half the dough into a rectangle about
1/2-inch thick on an ungreased baking sheet
- Cut into desired
shapes. Prick the surface well and bake in a 300 degree F oven
for 30 to 45 minutes or until the edges are light brown.
- Remove from the baking sheet and place on a rack to cool, handling
carefully as the shortbread is quite fragile.
- To serve, heat the apricot jam in a small pan until just boiling.
Strain and brush over the shortbread. Decorate the edges with
red and silver candies. (When hardened, the jam will hold the
candies in place.)
Yield: 4 to 5 dozen cookies
Stored tightly wrapped in foil or in an airtight
container without the decoration, the shortbread will keep for
up to 10 days.