Victorian Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 large egg
- In large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
- Blend together margarine and brown sugar until smooth. Add corn
syrup and egg; beat well.
- Add dry ingredients, about one-third
at a time, mixing until smooth after each addition.
- Chill dough for one hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out half of dough on lightly floured surface to one-quarter-inch
thickness. (Reserve other half for decorations or for a second
batch of cookies.) Using heart-shaped cookie cutter, press out
cookie shapes or use knife to cut around a pattern. Place hearts
on cookie sheet. Decorate as desired.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes
- Remove and place on wire racks to cool.
in covered container.
Yield: about eight (4 1/2-inch) cookies