Valentine's Day Recipes
Prep: 15 min | Yield: 4 servings, one apple each
- 2 (4 serving size) boxes Jell-O Brand Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium apples, such as Granny Smith, McIntosh or Golden Delicious
- 1/2 cup thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
- Combine dry gelatin mix and cinnamon in a 3 to 4 quart saucepan. Add water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Peel and core apples. Add to gelatin mixture in saucepan; partially cover saucepan with lid. Return to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or just until apples are fork tender, gently turning apples every 5 minutes. Remove apples from liquid.
- Serve apples warm. Or, cool and store in tightly covered container in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve each apple topped with 2 tablespoons of the whipped topping. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
After draining the cooked apples, pour the cooking liquid evenly into eight dessert dishes. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set for a refreshing Jell-O snack!
Substitute: Prepare as directed, using any other flavor of red JELL-O Brand Gelatin.
Nutrition Bonus: Enjoy this low-fat dessert served warm or cold. The elegant presentation of the apples makes it ideal to serve guests.
Per serving: Calories 130 Total fat 2g Saturated fat 1.5g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 20mg Carbohydrate 29g Dietary fiber 2g Sugars 28g Protein 1g
Vitamin A 0% DV Vitamin C 6% DV Calcium 0% DV Iron 0% DV
Exchanges: 2 Fruit