Brownie Hearts with Strawberry Compote
These brownie hearts make a romantic Valentine’s Day dessert when served with
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 cups whole California Strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Brownies: Heat oven to 325 degrees F and spray
eight 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped molds with nonstick spray; place molds on a baking sheet.
- Place melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl and
stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla extract and egg until the
batter is thick and shiny. Add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more
- Divide batter evenly among prepared molds; smooth with an offset
- Bake for 14 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes
out slightly moist with batter.
- Cool brownies in molds on a wire rack for 2 minutes; remove from molds to
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place white chocolate in a double
boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly
melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth.
- Dip a corner of each brownie heart in white chocolate, tapping gently against
bowl to remove excess chocolate.
- Place hearts on prepared baking sheet; chill in the refrigerator for 15
minutes to set chocolate.
- Strawberry Compote: Combine strawberries and sugar
in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. When mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and
simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl; whisk in cornstarch. Add
to strawberry mixture and continue cooking until thickened, 1 or 2 minutes.
Remove fruit mixture from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Place compote in a small bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve dessert, place a spoonful of strawberry compote in the
center of each plate and top with brownie heart. Garnish with fresh mint.
Yield: 8 brownie hearts
Recipe and photo used with permission from: California Strawberry Commission
Source: Tutti Dolci