Valentine's Day Recipes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Several drops red food coloring
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Bring egg whites to room temperature in a small mixing bowl. Add vanilla extract, cream of tartar and salt. Beat to soft peaks. Pour sugar in gradually, beating until very stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Meringue will appear glossy.
- Cover a baking sheet with ungreased brown paper or parchment. Spread 1/2 cup meringue for each individual heart or make one 9 inch heart with a spatula or back of a spoon so bottom is 1/2 inch thick and sides 1 to 1 1/2 inches tall.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off heat and let meringue dry in closed oven 1 hour for individual meringue and 2 hours for large meringue.
- Fill meringue shell(s) with fresh fruit ice cream topped with sauce.