Valentine's Day Recipes
Hunka Hunka Love
The dessert is made of buttery heart-shaped Graham cracker crusts, filled with chocolate and caramelized bananas. This recipe uses six common baking ingredients, and Blumer reminds cooks to always go for the freshest materials available. The dessert can be made in advance and refrigerated until mealtime. At the moment of serving, there's an optional "flamb " finishing touch, for a dramatic presentation of literally "burning" love.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 5 tablespoons of the butter. Transfer melted butter to a bowl, add Graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar. Blend thoroughly with fork.
- Place four 4 inch heart shaped cookie cutters on ungreased cookie sheet. Divide crumb mixture evenly among 4 cookie cutters. Form crusts by firmly pressing crumb mixture into a crust from 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick, on the bottom and up the sides of each cookie cutter.
- Place cookie sheet in oven and bake crusts in cookie cutters until lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Crusts may puff slightly during baking. After removing from oven, immediately sprinkle 1 tablespoon chocolate chips inside each crust. Set cookie sheet aside.
- In a 10 inch skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and brown sugar. Stir occasionally, for about 4 minutes, until mixture has melted into a smooth golden liquid.
- Add bananas to liquid and stir for 3 minutes, or until bananas are slightly cooked, but not mushy.
- Spoon bananas evenly into shells. Smooth surface with back of spoon and expose edges of crusts. Gently remove molds.
- For the optional "flambe" finish to make Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love: Set the dessert on the table. Place 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier, Cointreau or dark rum in large serving spoon. Use a lighter to heat underside of spoon for 10 seconds, then touch liquid directly to flame. While liquid is burning, pour a little over each heart.
Source: Off the Eaten Path - Bob Blumer