- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 10 ounces (1 1/3 cups) superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries in heavy syrup, defrosted and drained
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Draw a 9-inch circle on a double
thickness of wax paper. Turn paper over and place on a well-oiled
baking sheet. Sprinkle with water.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until whites begin to stiffen.
Add half the sugar and continue beating until very shiny and
stands in high, firm peaks. Fold in remaining sugar, cornstarch
and vinegar. Pile on wax paper to cover the circle. Bake in
center of oven for 1 1/2 hours or until meringue is firm on
the outside and a pale biscuity color. Leave to cool for 20
minutes. Then transfer to a serving dish, bottom side up. Peel
away the paper.
- Beat heavy cream and milk together until thick. Then fold in
2/3 of the raspberries. Pile over the meringue and then decorate
with the remaining raspberries.
Nutritional analysis (using 2-percent milk) per serving:
288 calories, 11.1 grams fat, 41 milligrams cholesterol, 46
grams carbohydrate, 1.5 grams dietary fiber and 41 milligrams sodium