Chicken Madeira on Herbed Biscuits (Diabetic)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/2 cups quartered fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Madeira or dry sherry
- Green onions, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups biscuit mix
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- In a large skillet cook chicken in oil over medium-high heat
for 4 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken; set aside.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and onion to skillet. Cook, uncovered,
for 4 to 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- In a bowl stir together sour cream, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt
and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add sour cream mixture, milk and broth
to skillet. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Add chicken and Madeira or sherry; heat through.
- Serve over Herbed Biscuits. Sprinkle with additional sliced green onions if desired.
- Herbed Biscuits: In a mixing bowl stir together biscuit mix, green onion and
basil. Add milk; stir just until dough clings together.
- On a floured surface knead dough 10 to 12 strokes. Roll out to a
1/2 inch thickness. Using a 2-inch heart-shaped biscuit cutter,
cut dough into 12 biscuits. Re-Roll the trimmings as necessary.
- Bake biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet in a 425 degrees
F (220 degrees C) oven for about 12 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings; 12 biscuits
Nutrition information per serving: calories - 406, fat -
14 g., cholesterol - 78 mg., protein - 35 g., carbohydrate -
34 g., sodium - 797 mg