Dilly Casserole Bread
This Bake-Off® Contest entry, a prize-winner in the 1960 contest, has become
- 2 to 2 2/3 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 cup small curd creamed cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, if desired
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, onion, dill seed, 1 teaspoon
salt, baking soda and yeast; mix well.
- In small saucepan, heat water, 1 tablespoon margarine and cottage cheese
until very warm (120 to 130 degrees F.).
- Add warm liquid and egg to flour mixture; blend at low speed until moistened.
Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- By hand, stir in remaining 1 to 1 2/3 cups flour to form a stiff batter.
Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place
(80 to 85 degrees F) until light and doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Generously grease a 1 1/2 or 2-quart casserole.
- Stir down batter to remove all air bubbles.
- Turn into greased casserole. Cover; let rise in warm place until light and
doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Uncover dough.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until loaf is deep golden brown and sounds
hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Remove from casserole; place on wire rack.
- Brush loaf with melted margarine; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool.
20 min prep time
3 hr total time
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1 Slice: Calories 100 Calories from Fat 20
Total Fat 2g Saturated Fat 1g Cholesterol 15mg Sodium 230mg Total Carbohydrate 16g
Dietary Fiber 1g Sugars 2g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%
Exchanges:1 Starch; 1/2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Bake-Off® Contest 12, 1960, Leona Schnuelle, Crab Orchard, Nebraska
Reprinted with permission from Pillsbury.