Sweet Chili-Glazed Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper, divided
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- Steamed white rice
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Cut each chicken wing in half at joint.
- Mix oil, cilantro, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons garlic, ginger and 1/4 teaspoon
crushed red pepper in large bowl.
- Add chicken wings and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken wings to large baking sheet.
- Bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar, sugar, water, chili-garlic sauce, remaining
1/2 tablespoon garlic and remaining 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper in medium saucepan. Bring to boil; reduce heat
and simmer until glaze mixture thickens to syrup consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer baked chicken wings to large bowl.
- Pour glaze over; toss to coat.
- Place chicken wings atop steamed white rice.
- Sprinkle with green onions.
Yield: four first-course or two main-course servings
Source: Bon Appetit – July 1997