Tequila Hot Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings, about 21 to 22 wings, separated at the joints, wing tips discarded
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon cracked fresh pepper
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 long strips orange zest, curled into spirals for garnish
- 2 fresh limes, cut into wedges for garnish
- Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Rinse chicken wings and pat dry with paper towels. Lay in a single layer in a large glass baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients except orange zest spirals, lime wedges, and cilantro sprigs for garnish.
- Pour mixture over the chicken wings.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning chicken wings several times.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Remove chicken wings from marinade and arrange in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Bake chicken wings for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour marinade into a saucepan, place on the stove and bring to a full boil; reduce by half, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove the wings from the oven and preheat the broiler.
- Brush the wings with the reduced marinade and broil, 4 to 6 inches from
source of heat, until wings are crisp and brown, turning wings 2 or 3 times and brushing with marinade. (Wings may be made ahead to this point and wrapped in aluminum foil.
- Rewarm aa 300 degrees F, opening the foil packet to uncover the wings.)
- To serve, arrange the wings on a heated serving platter.
- Garnish with spirals of orange zest, lime wedges, and cilantro sprigs.
- Serve warm.
Per 2-piece serving: 97 calories (64% calories from fat), 7 g protein, 7 g total fat (1.7 g saturated fat), 1 g carbohydrates, 0 dietary fiber, 27 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 medium fat protein, 1/2 fat