African Red Dip with Shrimp
The West African ata sauce is based on a homemade red pepper paste.
The paprika is "toasted" before it is added to bring out
its characteristic flavor.
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Red Pepper Paste
- 1 dozen chilled cooked shrimp
Red Pepper Paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 of a medium onion
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 cup paprika
- Ata Sauce: Mix chili sauce and Red Pepper Paste. Serve with chilled cooked
- Red Pepper Paste: Place all ingredients except paprika in blender container. Cover
and blend on high speed until smooth, scraping sides of blender
- Heat paprika in 1-quart saucepan for 1 minute.
- Add spice mixture gradually, stirring until smooth. Heat, stirring
occasionally, until hot — about 3 minutes; cool.