Chicken in Peanut Sauce
Serve with fried sliced plantains, chopped raw peanuts, chutney,
chopped tomatoes, diced green pepper, chopped onion and diced cucumber.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 (1 ounce) can anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) broiler-fryer, chicken,
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 dried chiles, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped candied ginger or 1/4 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups crunchy peanut butter
- Whole chiles
- Drain oil from anchovies into Dutch oven; add peanut
oil. Heat until hot. Cook chicken over medium heat until brown on
all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken. Drain fat from Dutch oven.
- Heat anchovies, water, tomato paste, tomatoes,
onion, garlic, dried chiles, ginger, chili powder and salt to boiling
in Dutch oven; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add chicken; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Stir some of the
hot liquid into peanut butter; stir back into chicken mixture. Turn
chicken to coat with sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is done
— 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish with whole chiles.
Yield: 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes