Chorba (North Africa)
This will serve 4 as a side dish or you can double it as a main
- 1 large onion, chopped medium
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons lemon
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
pepper, to taste
- Fry the onions until tender in the olive
- Add the paprika and heat in the oil also.
- about 1 cup water
to prevent onions and paprika from burning.
- Add carrots, garlic,
tomato paste and the parsley and more water to cover.
the carrots begin to get slightly tender, add the potatoes and water
(if necessary) to cover. Simmer for about 1/2 hour.
- Add garbanzo
beans and lemon juice. Adjust the amount of broth by adding more
water if necessary. Adjust flavor by adding pepper and salt if necessary.
If meat is desired, chunks of beef or lamb can be added
by frying that with the onions at the beginning of the recipe.