Chorba (North Africa)
This will serve 4 as a side dish or you can double it as a main
- 1 large onion, chopped medium
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fry the onions until tender in the olive oil.
- Add the paprika and heat in the oil also.
- About 1 cup water to prevent onions and paprika from burning.
- Add carrots, garlic,
tomato paste and the parsley and more water to cover.
- When the carrots begin to get slightly tender, add the potatoes and water
(if necessary) to cover. Simmer for about 1/2 hour.
- Add garbanzo beans and lemon juice. Adjust the amount of broth by adding more
water if necessary. Adjust flavor by adding pepper and salt if necessary.
If meat is desired, chunks of beef or lamb can be added
by frying that with the onions at the beginning of the recipe.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes