Coconut Corn Curry (East Africa)
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 chile peppers or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 3 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups coconut milk
- Using a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder, grind all of the spices, the coconut
meat, and the peanuts into a smooth paste.
- In a large, heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat the butter and fry the paste for
four or five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the corn, salt, and coconut milk; reduce heat; simmer until the sauce becomes
fairly thick, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Serve over rice.
A fruit chutney makes a nice accompaniment.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes