Spicy Braised Chicken
(Doro Wat - Ethiopia)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper (or less)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 chicken, cut up
- Mix first ten ingredients in medium-size bowl. Set aside.
- Fry the onions in the oil. Sprinkle with turmeric.
- Add onions to tomato sauce mixture.
- Place chicken pieces in large, heavy pot.
- Spoon all of the sauce over the chicken. Bring
mixture to boil. Immediately reduce heat and cover. Stew (braise)
for 45 minutes.
- Remove lid from pan, and allow chicken to cook for 15 more minutes.
- Serve with Ethiopian Flat Bread.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes