Fish Stew with Vegetables
This may be the predecessor of Louisiana's gumbos. The okra
acts as a thickening agent.
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra pods
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans
- 3 cups sliced cabbage
- 1 1/2 pounds catfish, perch, bass fillets, cut into serving pieces
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat tomato sauce, water, rice, carrots, onion, salt and red pepper
in Dutch oven to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Rinse okra and green beans under running cold water to separate;
- Cut okra lengthwise into halves.
- Add okra, green beans, cabbage
and fish to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and
cook until fish flakes easily with fork and vegetables are tender —
10 to 12 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes