(Sweet Potatoes Slow-cooked in Butter,
Brown Sugar and Cinnamon — South Africa)
- Sweet potatoes, skinned, and thick-sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 2 or 4 cinnamon sticks, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- Salt, to taste
- In a heavy bottom pot (cast iron Dutch oven) layer half the butter,
sweet potato slices, sugar, salt and cinnamon sticks.
- Start again with the butter and do layer for layer until done. Do not add any
water at all. Place the lid on the pot and put on the stove over
a low heat for about 2 1/2 hours.
You can also bake this with the same results.
This will keep for two days in the refrigerator.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> African Recipes